Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dungeons and Colonies 22

Holy of Holies


This is the space on the other side of Craft Street.  I do like the little hill and a couple of trees here, but the colony has needs.  I set about and for a few days I start collecting and preparing materials.  For what I am next building, I was asked to use only the best.  I start cooking stone so that I can make stone bricks.  I search out and cut down birch, specifically for the lighter wood.  I go out and collect flowers for dye.

 







I start building by placing large boughs of lumber vertically into the ground.  Using them as the base, I start laying stone brick in a general outline.  I want tall walls, and plenty of windows to let light throughout the building.


After making the basic stone structure, I then create a roof.  I was thinking stone at first, but realized I would need columns or something inside to support the weight, and we wanted it to be a very open chamber on the inside.  I spend a day getting the planks in place and making a ceiling.  I make a fully covered stone chamber on the back so that there can be a little room back there.


The whole town gets into helping out.  We get large panes of glass created and set into place, making the largest windows in the whole colony.  The wives get together and create the most wonderful of red carpets.  Jim creates a highly lacquered birch wood flooring.  I create strong benches that may not be as intricate as Jim's work, but are sturdy enough to last lifetimes.  We all work to get the inside furnished.  In the rear room, we collect all the holy texts that the colony has brought from the old world and we create library of sorts behind the pulpit.

 


 Now the outside needs work as well.  


The land around it is a bit rough and not at all worthy of such a structure.  Out front I add some bushes, but I have to make sure they can not be destroyed by wandering vagrants.  We also need a sign, because everything needs a sign, right?  Anyone?  My mom?  My dad?  Ok.  The back is kind bare, so I plant a lot of evergreen trees.  Evergreens are significant because they do not wither in the winter months, just as the faith does not falter.  The pond near the back is not deep enough, it is one block too low.  So I raise the water level to something more sightly.


Earlier I said the colonists needed this Church, but I did not say why.  It is now that I must announce sad news for the Colony.  


Robert Smith, the son of John Smith, our farmer, passed away from injuries in duty to the colony.  He is the first to be buried at our new home.  Time will take more, but we hope it will be the last as a result from danger.




No comments:

Post a Comment